The Skyline Shines Award recognizes individuals or groups who help Skyline College to shine in terms of its quality of programs and services and its reputation for quality. Two awards are made annually, one to a member or group of the Skyline College employees and one to a member or group from the community.
Nomination process: Please make nominations by Friday, May 18 at 4:30 p.m. using the Nomination Form to describe the ways in which the nominee(s) help the college live up to the college’s values, described below under “Criteria.” Submit nominations electronically to Theresa Tentes, Executive Administrative Assistant to the President, at email@example.com. Only electronic submissions will be considered.
If you have questions, contact Theresa at the email address above, or at 650-738-4111.
Criteria for the award: The awardees would be those who most help the college live up to the college’s values:
* Social Justice: We are committed to a comprehensive diversity framework that promotes social justice throughout all policies, procedures, and practices of the College.
* Campus Climate: We value a campus-wide climate that reflects a student’s first philosophy’ with mutual respect between all constituencies and appreciation for diversity. Both instruction and student services are dedicated to providing every student with an avenue to success.
* Open Access: We are committed to the availability of quality educational programs and services for every member of our community regardless of level of preparedness, socio-economic status, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, cultural, religious, or ethnic background, or disability status. We are committed to providing students with open access to programs and responsive student services both in person and online that enable them to advance steadily toward their goals.
* Student Success and Equity: We value students’ success in achieving their goals, on time, and strengthening their voices as they transform their lives through their educational experience. We aim to close gaps that result in inequitable outcomes by ensuring that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
* Academic Excellence: We value excellence in all aspects of our mission as a comprehensive community college offering preparation for transfer to a baccalaureate institution, workforce and economic development through career technical education programs and certificates, Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, a baccalaureate degree, basic skills development, and lifelong learning. We are committed to academic rigor and quality with relevant, recent, and evolving curricula and well-equipped programs that include new and emerging areas of study. We are dedicated to an educational climate that values creativity, innovation and freedom of intellectual exploration, discovery, thought, and exchange of ideas.
* Community Connection: We value a deep engagement with the community we serve and our role as an academic and cultural center for community including business, industry, labor, non-profits, government and the arts. We are dedicated to maintaining a college culture and institutional climate that is warm and welcoming to all.
* Participatory Governance: We value just, fair, inclusive, and well-understood, transparent governance processes based upon open and honest communication.
* Sustainability: We value an institutional culture that represents a strong commitment to environmental sustainability and justice. We are committed to the tenets of sustainability “To meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.”
Context: The awards will be presented at the Skyline College’s Opening Day event on August 14, 2018.
Process for selecting awardees:
* College employee or group: awardee selected by the President in consultation with the College Council.
* Community member or group: awardee selected by the President in consultation with the President’s Council Executive Committee. Deadline: Friday, May 18, 2018 by 4:30 p.m. Nominations should be made on the nomination form.