On September 26, 2013, Skyline College’s Center for International Trade Development (CITD), in collaboration with the US Export Assistance Center–San Francisco, hosted its latest Executive Briefing between the African Business Roundtable and the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC). Held in San Francisco, the briefing featured a presentation and discussion with Dr. Lawrence Spinelli, Director of Outreach and Public Affairs for OPIC. Dr. Spinelli provided details on how OPIC can better support US businesses as they conduct business in Africa-specifically in sectors such as energy, sustainability, the environment, and water.
The African Business Roundtable is a collaborative effort between the Skyline College CITD and the US Export Assistant Center–San Francisco. The vision of the African Business Roundtable is to:
- Create a conducive environment to further economic development between African countries and California/the US Pacific Region
- Familiarize African leaders/nations with the diverse technology, financial/investment and multiple industry sectors of California. Current industry sectors of focus are: Energy, Environmental/Water Technology, Medical/Healthcare, ICT and ACE/Green Construction
- Attract more African Trade and Investment opportunities to California
- Create and prepare a focused-group of California-based companies to target trade and projects in African countries
- Assist in globalizing the Skyline College campus via international partnerships
For more information on the African Business Roundtable, please contact Allison Mello at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article by CITD Intern, Elizabeth Tablan.