On Tuesday, November 14th, 2023, SparkPoint at Skyline College hosted its Annual Turkey Giveaway. Throughout the day, SparkPoint gave out 80 turkeys to students and student families, which, in conjunction with our additional free grocery support, helped reduce the cost of feeding families this holiday season. An appointment booking process was used so students could pick up their turkeys with dignity and with very few wait times. We are also happy to report that no one was turned away at the door and that everyone expecting to pick up a turkey and groceries could do so. This special event was made possible by the support of Second Harvest Food Bank, which provides food for the SparkPoint Food Pantry, which operates exclusively for Skyline students.
The SparkPoint food pantry is open Monday-Friday and offers free groceries to all students! If you know a student interested in picking up free groceries, please have them make an appointment by filling out the online order form.
Some things to remember:
• No ID required. A car is not required.
• Appointment preferred, but drop-ins welcome
• Groceries will be pre-bagged (no substitutions at pick up)
• Items vary but typically can include fruit, vegetables, canned goods, dry goods, milk, meat, and snacks
• This will not affect your food grant or financial aid in any way
• SparkPoint is located in building 1, room 1-214
Winter Schedule: The SparkPoint Food Pantry will remain open until Thursday, December 21st, but will be closed 12/22/23-1/8/24. The pantry will reopen on Tuesday, January 9th, 2024.
Please visit our website to learn more about SparkPoint’s other food, housing, and financial services.
Article by Raul Amaya