In year two of the redesign, we will confirm Meta-majors, continue to develop guided pathways, redesign Student Services, continue to expand the implementation of the Promise Scholars Program, and explore how we can redesign general education to engage students in deep and meaningful learning.
To start, the Design Team is creating six inquiry teams that will research, explore and work towards making recommendations to the Design Team on the following topics:
- Exploratory Course – An exploration of how to best design a first semester course to support all students through the transition into college and careers with the goal of promoting academic and professional success for all.
- Foundation (Affective Domain) – An exploration of the beliefs and behaviors that promote college success for all and how Skyline College can incorporate them into all foundational courses.
- GE Redesign – A continued exploration of how Skyline College should contextualize general education courses to make them more relevant to students and make the curriculum more cohesive.
- HIPs (High Impact Practices) – An exploration of pedagogy centered on equity and high impact teaching practices such as undergraduate research, service learning, e-portfolios, culminating projects, study abroad, internships and more.
- Student Support Services – An exploration of redesigning student services to be in alignment with meta-majors that includes implications for modifications to orientation, delivery of career development support and services, increasing comprehensive educational plans, and examining integration with instruction.
- The Undeclared Student Experience – An exploration of the experience of undeclared students, including how to incorporate exploration into their experience to give them the tools to choose a degree or certificate.
The inquiry teams will begin their work this semester and we need you! Interested in serving as inquiry team leader or joining as a member? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Have additional questions? Please reach out to the Meta-majors & Guided Pathways co-leads: Lorraine DeMello, Luis Escobar, Carla Grandy, Mary Gutierrez, Jessica Hurless, Mustafa Popal and Jesse Raskin or visit the Meta-Majors & Guided Pathways website: http://skylinecollege.edu/metamajors/index.php
Article by Jessica Hurless