Saturday, September 27, from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Open to all! Community members, students and teachers are welcome.
$25 for three classes, lunch and a live salsa dance party with Orquesta Taino!
Please encourage students to RSVP on the Facebook page, and/or to buy tickets online, so that we can get an accurate estimate for lunches.
More information is listed on our Facebook Event Page:
Supported with generosity by the Skyline College President’s Innovation Fund
In celebration of Latino Heritage Month
We will offer three class blocks, with at least two style options during each, as well as coffee, pastries and a late lunch. So far, we have Tap, Hip Hop, Contemporary, B-Boying, Salsa and social dance classes lined up. We’re in the process of confirming a Tahitian class as well!
After the workshops, each class will demonstrate the choreography that they learned, then we’ll have a salsa dance lesson and a dance party – with a live band – in the early evening, to close out our day.
We are currently expecting students from three high schools, two community colleges, and teachers from SJSU, Skyline College and hopefully Mills College.
I hope to make this an annual activity that assists with recruitment for my school and transfer for my students. What I think will make this most effective is to have my students get a chance to connect with the local dance community.
It would be fabulous if you’d invite your students (we’d give you posters) and come to represent your organization on our campus.
Our Confirmed Master Instructors:
- Joan Walton – Meringue & Cha Cha – CSM and San José State University
- Micaya – Hip Hop – Founder of SF Hip Hop DanceFest
- Gary Ferguson – Tap – Broadway Dancer and Mercy High School Burlingame
- Vera Quijano – Salsa – Cañada College
- Heike Mansel – Salsa-Rueda – Jefferson High School & Mission Fusion
- Jason “Spidey” Ferguson – B-Boying / B-Girling
- Joslynn Mathis Reed – Contemporary Hip Hop Fusion – East Bay Dance
- Amber Steele – Contemporary – Skyline College
Vendor Tables are available for dance supply stores, dance studios, campus groups and others – please contact Amber Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Article by Amber Steele