The Skyline College Strategic Planning and Allocation of Resources Committee (SPARC) met on Thursday, October 29, 2020.

Tri-Chair Leigh Anne Shaw provided an update on the work of the Comprehensive Program Review (CPR) Template Workgroup whose creation the Committee approved at the October 8th meeting. The Workgroup is charged with creating draft templates by December 2020 for approval by SPARC, College Governance Council and the College President by the end of this calendar year.

Judy Hutchinson provided an update on Emergency Relief spending, including the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) institutional support funding. The CARES Act stimulus bill was passed by Congress and signed into law by the President in March 2020.  Skyline College received $2.4M in funding, of which 25% has been allocated for institutional expenses. The other 75% has been allocated for direct student aid.  For presentation details, please see October 29 presentations, slides 14- 19.

Related also to the pandemic, Dean of Academic Support and Learning Technologies Rolin Moe gave a presentation on Professional Development and Technologies for Online Learning. Given the quick pivot to remote learning, he lauded both the Center for Transformative Teaching (CTTL) and Learning staff for supporting faculty, and the 97% of Skyline College faculty who have completed a course of distance education instruction, almost all via Skyline’s homegrown Quality Online Teaching & Learning (QOTL) initiative, as of Fall 2020. He also noted the District’s ability to fulfill student and faculty equipment needs. He then wrapped up by highlighting the CTTL’s current and future professional development plans. For presentation details, please see the October 29 presentations, slides 9-13.

Tri-Chair Ingrid Vargas informed the committee of approved changes to the Integrated Planning and Resource Allocation Model by the College Governance Council.  The redesign of the Comprehensive Program Review process timelines has been incorporated into the updated model. For further details, please see Skyline College Integrated Planning and Resource Allocation Model and October 29 presentations, slides 7-8.

SPARC meets on the second and the last Thursday of the month from 2:10 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For additional information, please see

Article by Judy Hutchinson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *