The City of San Bruno and the San Bruno Beautification Task Force presented Skyline College with the 2013 Beautification Award for Public Arts Contributions. The award was presented to Skyline College President, Dr. Regina Stanback Stroud, by Ms. Irene O’Connell, Vice Mayor & Chair of the Beautification Task Force on October 8, 2013.
The San Bruno City Council bestowed Beautification Awards in several categories including residential, commercial, and public arts.
The Mission of the Beautification Task Force of the City of San Bruno is to promote “….the quality of life in San Bruno by creating, supporting and participating in activities and programs that improve the physical and aesthetic environment of our community… by:
- Educating the community about enhancing and protecting San Bruno’s environmental assets;
- Advocating a high standard of community responsibility, cleanliness, maintenance and attractiveness for our developed and natural environment;
- Creating and promoting partnerships and resident participation in improving our community;
- Monitoring neighborhood and citywide cleanups, Earth Day activities, Beautification Awards, and similar programs.
On the behalf of the Board of Trustees for SMCCCD, Chancellor Galatolo, the esteemed faculty, staff and students of Skyline College, President Dr. Stanback Stroud accepted the award and acknowledged the attendees including:
- Karen Powell, Director of Maintenance and Operations and representing Vice Chancellor José Nuñez whose leadership and support made it possible along with the Honorable Mayor Jim Ruane.
- Eloisa Briones, Vice President of Administrative Services, and Donna Bestock, Dean of Social Science, Creative Arts and Chair of the Art-on-Campus Task Force.
- Art faculty members Professor Ellen Lowenstein, Paul Bridenbaugh, Bridget Fischer, and Amir Esfahani.
The college received a beautiful Certificate of Special Recognition that will be placed in the Building 4 case on the third floor. Congratulations to Skyline College and thank you to the community, the district and the college community for the support and pride bestowed upon the college. And most of all, thank you to Carolyn Livengood for nominating Skyline College and for her longtime support of the college and for her efforts to ensure that the city knows what a gem we all have here in Skyline College. It is precisely the beautiful place that our students deserve.
Article by Dr. Regina Stanback Stroud.