The first monthly parent night was held September 30, 2015 in the Multicultural Center located in Building 4. The program theme was “How Can Parents Support Student Success.” More than 40 individuals were in attendance to show their support and belief in the Middle College including families, students, Skyline College administration, and South San Francisco Unified School District administrators and three board members. This student-led program gave parents insights into the Middle College through
- A multimedia slide show of the activities students have been involved with
- A multimedia presentation giving an overview of the Middle College
- A Question & Answer segment that allowed parents to inquire about the Middle College
- A student-led panel focused on how parents can support their academic success,
- A presentation conducted by Dr. Raymond Jones, Middle College Director, entitled “Three Myths About the Teen-Age Brain.”
- A tour of the Middle College facilities in Building 2.
The parent night is a monthly program that Middle College students plan and host. The purpose of the parent night is to involve the parents in their student’s education. Evidence-based research has shown that parent involvement and support is a key element in student academic achievement and success. The next parent night is November 4, 2015 and the topic will be Financial Literacy, to be led by Melanie Espinueva, Coordinator of Financial Education Services for SparkPoint at Skyline College.
Article by Raymond Jones