COVID-19 forced the SparkPoint Food Pantry to close in March 2020 and it remained closed for 2 full years. We re-launched this service this past spring and we are excited to share that from between March 22 and June 30, 2022, we distributed 33,487 pounds of groceries. Unlike our Drive-Thru Grocery Distribution, the SparkPoint Food Pantry only serves students. This means that our students saved an estimated $49,369.30 on grocery costs during this time, which is money that can go to other important expenses such as books, gas, rent or saving for the future. This represents a great start for this new iteration of the SparkPoint food pantry and we plan to try to get back to a pre-pandemic level of service by the end of the fall semester.
The SparkPoint food pantry is currently open Monday-Friday and offers free groceries to all students! If you know a student who may be interested in picking up free groceries, please have them make an appointment by filling out online order form.
Some things to remember:
- No ID required. A car is not required.
- Groceries will be pre-bagged (no substitutions at pick up)
- Items vary, but typically can include fruit, vegetables, canned goods, dry goods, milk, meat, and snacks
- This will not affect your food grant or financial aid in any way
- SparkPoint is located in building 1, room 1-214
Please visit our website to learn more about SparkPoint’s other food, housing and financial services: https://skylinecollege.edu/sparkpoint/
Thank you to the whole SparkPoint and Dream Center Team for their support in this effort.
Article by Chad Thompson