Recent changes in Building 2 to the space formerly occupied by the Center for Advanced Learning and Technology (CALT) have resulted in new options for computer access for students and for instruction at Skyline College.
Computers and Printing Available for Students
Networked PC-platform computers are available to any registered student doing specific course-related work on a drop-in basis at several areas on campus.
Computers with printing services are available in the Library located on the 2nd floor of building 5, during open library hours. Students can work on course-related work for up to 3 hours at a time. The Library is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Learning Center Computers
For students registered for LSKL courses, computers are available in the Learning Center located on the 1st floor of building 5 during open center hours. Students need to sign-in at the Learning Center Welcome Desk using the CRN for their LSKL course. LSKL 803 is a 0 unit course that provides students with access to peer tutoring and other Learning Center resources. The Learning Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Computer Applications for Business Labs (CABL)
The CAB Labs serve students enrolled in Computer Applications for Business classes. These labs are located on the first floor in Building 8, Rooms 8119 and 8121. The labs are open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the daytime hours and in the evenings from 4:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. The labs close at 4 p.m. on Fridays. During the summer semesters, the labs are not open on Fridays or Saturdays. Please call (650) 738-4291 for more information.
Computer Labs for Instruction
Computer labs are available for faculty to reserve for occasional instructional use.
Building 2 Room 2117B is available for instruction on an as needed basis:
• To schedule a class in the Room 2117B, please contact Alana Utsumi at email@example.com
• Please contact Public Safety Officer at 650.738.4199 to unlock/lock room 2117B
• If you encounter any computer problems in room 2117B, please place a work order using the following link: http://helpcenter.smccd.edu/requestform/
• Room 2117A is no longer available to be scheduled. This is a multimedia lab (Apple Computers) that is managed by the Social Science/Creative Arts department.
• Room 2122 no longer has computers
Business Department computer labs in Building 8 are also available for limited use:
• To schedule a class in the business computer lab contact Teresita Del Castillo at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library classroom in Building 5 is primarily used to support Information Literacy workshops for students, however it is also available for research workshops with faculty librarians for any course. The research workshop request form is located at http://www.skylinecollege.edu/library/researchworkshoprequestform.php or you may contact Thomas Hewitt at email@example.com
Article & Photos by Jonathan Paver