The ASTEP Learning Community and the Skyline College BSU attended Western Region Counsel on Black American Affairs’ Career Institute on November 14 & 15 at El Camino College in Compton, CA. The students were joined by Dr. Regina Standback Stroud, Dr. John Mosby, and Professor Kwame Thomas. The conference focused on encouraging students and other faculty to pursue careers in higher education, especially in the community college setting. Students participated in the following workshops:
- Strategies to Ensure Upward Mobility in Higher Education: Employability and Careers
- What Hiring Managers Won’t Tell You and What You Need to Know
- Review Rework and Revise: Resumes and Cover Letters
- What Elements in YOU are Needed for Success and Why
- Mock Interviews
- Putting the Students’ Voice in Your Student Equity Plan
Overall the students had an amazing time. They felt the conference was empowering and inspirational. The workshops taught them how to be professional and the network opportunities were priceless.
“You are always interviewing”- Dr. Stroud.
Photo and article by Kwame Thomas