This past week marked the 32nd Skyline College Free Drive-Thru Community Market! At this most recent weekly grocery distribution event we served 845 families with the support of 30 volunteers including the Golden State Warriors organization!
Every week each household or family receives almost 50 lbs of groceries, including milk, eggs, pasta, rice, fresh produce, canned goods and dry goods, as well as a protein item (ham, chicken, turkey, etc.). Second Harvest Food Bank calculates that over 1,199,000 pounds of groceries have been distributed since our program started in September 2020 and that we have offset over $2,000,000 in grocery costs for the most at risk members of our local community! A special thanks goes to SMCCCD employees from SparkPoint, public safety, and facilities, as well as the wonderful volunteers who make this event possible every week.
This event is held at Skyline College every Wednesday, 11:00am-1:00pm and has been extended through August 2021. All staff, volunteers and participants adhere to all COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols at all times.
- Only drive-thru pickups will be served
- All participants must remain in their cars at all times and wear a mask
- Open to students and the community
- No I.D required to pick up food
- Please call 650-738-7970 for weather and air quality closure updates
- Please use Skyline Blvd entrance
Article by Chad Thompson
Photos by Becky Threewit