The Skyline College Dream Center Task Force is looking for new members! Our goal is to be a campus-wide group with active allies from all parts of our campus community. We are especially in need of members from STEM, but no matter your department, everyone is invited to attend our next meeting on Wednesday, November 17th at 1:30 p.m. to learn about how to get involved. No experience is needed.
What’s the Dream Center Task Force? We’re a small campus group of classified professionals and faculty, both full-time and part-time, who are allies in support of undocumented and immigrant students and employees at Skyline College. The Task Force was established in 2017.
What’s involved? Meetings generally include updates on state and national legislative actions—how changes in laws, legal cases and government policies may affect our students locally—and on campus programs sponsored by the Dream Center. Discussions often focus on communication opportunities, educational activities, and ways to overcome obstacles faced by our undocumented and immigrant students.
Task Force members help plan and support:
- Annual UndocuWeek of Action
- Flex Day programs
- Social mixers for allies and students
- Migration Celebration (graduation)
- Collaboration with other campus groups or events
- Advocacy work
- Updating your division and colleagues about the work of the Dream Center.
The Task Force also set up the emergency Skyline College Dream Center Fund to support our undocumented students individually and help fund programs and events. We encourage you to donate! See below for Three Ways to Donate.
Responsibilities of Task Force Members. The Task Force meets by Zoom twice monthly on the first and third Wednesday of the month, from 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Joining the Task Force doesn’t require you to attend every meeting. Members also volunteer additional time towards the activities described above as they are able.
Where can I learn more? Please visit the Dream Center website. Also, read about last month’s UndocuWeek of Action. This year was the 5th annual UndocuWeek, with the theme Change in Action, which aimed to celebrate achievements, answer questions, raise awareness about SMCCCD’s undocumented students, and most importantly, to grow and inspire our community to action! The event, organized by the three college’s Dream Centers and Dream Center Task Forces, included mixers, book club meetings, statewide webinars, and ended with keynote speaker, San Francisco based FilipinX author Lysley Tenorio, author of Monstress: Stories and The Son of Good Fortune.
Interested in joining the Dream Center Task Force? Contact Chad Thompson at email@example.com to introduce yourself and request the Zoom link for our next meeting on Wednesday, November 17th at 1:30 p.m. We look forward to meeting you!
Three Ways to Donate to the Skyline College Dream Center Fund
- Donate online (bit.ly/DreamCenterFund) 1. Select amount $. 2. Select “Designation: Other” (drop down menu). 3. Write in Other category: “Dream Center Fund.” 4.Complete your payment information.
- Sign up for the SMCCC Foundation’s recurring payroll deduction: (bit.ly/DCFPayrollDeduction). 1. Purpose: Enroll. 2. Designate my gift for: Skyline College. 3.Fill in “Dream Center Fund” where form says: “OR, designate my gift for the following fund.”
- Donate by mail: Send your check to: San Mateo County Community Colleges Foundation, 3401 CSM Dr., San Mateo, CA 94402. Make check out to: SMCCC Foundation. In a note or memo field, specify “Dream Center Fund” Skyline College.
Article by Stephanie Wells