The Academic Senate had its final meeting of the 2020-2021 academic year on May 6. Key items to note:
- The senate honored Jesse Raskin and Dr. Rika Yonemura-Fabian with resolutions commending their service.
- The senate heard and adopted a joint resolution by the senates of Skyline College and College of San Mateo, in collaboration with students and staff, denouncing anti-Asian discrimination, violence, and hate and calling for transformative measures of inclusion throughout the District.
- Results were announced for the election of the following Academic Senate positions:
- Lindsey Ayotte – President, 2021-2022
- Cassidy Ryan-White – Vice president, 2021-2023
- Kim Saccio-Kent – Secretary, 2021-2023
- CTE Liaison – Soledad McCarthy, 2021-2023
- Adjunct senators, 2021-2022: Timothy Rottenberg, Suji Venkataraman, Jessica Silver-Sharp
- The senate elected the 2021 Summer Academic Senate Executive Committee
- Officers: Lindsey Ayotte, Cassidy Ryan-White, Dr. Rika Yonemura-Fabian, Kim Saccio-Kent
- Senate members: Jessica Hurless, Dr. Nicole Porter
For the summer period commencing May 30 until August 19 (first senate meeting of Fall 2021), any matters needing attention of the senate will be handled by the senate executive committee.
- Lindsey Ayotte was appointed to serve on the committee to select the interim Vice President of Instruction following Dr. Taylor-Mendoza’s transition to the role of president at College of San Mateo. This will be a one-year interim position before going out for the permanent position.
- Mustafa Popal was appointed to serve on the screening committee for the Equity Institute Manager.
- Dr. Newin Orante will be chairing the screening committee for the Vice President of Administrative Services to replace Eloisa Briones, who is retiring. Faculty interested in serving on this committee are asked to contact President Leigh Anne Shaw. The Summer Exec will appoint.
- Professional Personnel report: Dr. Rowden-Quince reported the following:
- End of the Year celebration will be held May 20 at 12:30pm.
- Faculty Marshals for graduation will be Mike Fitzgerald for the 2020 class and Jan Fosberg for the 2021 class.
- Meyer Award nominees are below; winner will be announced at the End of Year celebration on May 20:
- Mandy Lucas
- Nicole Porter
- Alberto Santellan
- Bianca Rowden-Quince
- Erinn Struss
- Soledad McCarthy
- Rika Yonemura-Fabian
- Kenyatta Weathersby
- Pia Walawalkar
- Curriculum Report: Jessica Hurless shared that the Curriculum Committee passed resolutions in support of OER curriculum for greater inclusivity and equity for students.
Article by Leigh Anne Shaw