The Grove Scholarship Program celebrates its tenth successful semester, awarding 25 new and continuing Career and Technical Education (CTE) scholars in Spring 2015. Recipients were selected on a competitive basis among approximately 90 applications from diverse academic programs.
On January 30, 2015 the selected students met in the Career Services Center to complete the Grove Scholarship orientation. The orientation gave participants an overview of the expectations for the Grove Scholars Program which include: maintenance of a 75% completion rate, 2.0 GPA, enrollment in at least one CTE course, financial workshop attendance and participation in the Student Awards Ceremony. The orientation also highlighted SparkPoint Center services such as benefits access, personal financial classes available for college credit, the food pantry, and the Career Services Center. A celebratory lunch was served to congratulate recipients.
Grove Scholarships are funded by a generous $125,000 grant from the Grove Foundation, named after Andy Grove, a founder of Intel Group Corporation. Each scholarship is worth up to $2000 per semester, and includes individualized financial coaching, as well as access to an Individual Development Account where Grove Scholars receive up to $200 in matching funds for a total of $2,200 per semester and $4,400 of funding per school year.
Please forward any questions regarding the Grove Scholarship program to Andrea Doffoney Anyanwu or to email@example.com.
Article by Andrea Doffoney Anyanwu | Photos by Angelita Gajeton
The TRiO Student Support Services program braved the rain and wind on Friday, February 6 to celebrate the beginning of Skyline College’s spring semester.
The TRiO kickoff event is an opportunity for SSS scholars to bond with their peers, re-familiarize themselves with TRiO services, and to welcome and introduce new students to the rest of the TRiO family. This celebration, held every semester, also serves as a chance for the TRiO staff to reintroduce themselves and to offer some words of encouragement to the TRiO cohort. This spring the TRiO program was especially lucky to receive nuggets of knowledge from Skyline College colleagues Melanie Espinueva (Puente Counselor), as well as Interim Vice President of Student Services, Carsbia Anderson.
The TRiO students, staff, faculty and guests were treated to a scrumptious pizza lunch and participated in team-building activities. In addition the SSS scholars received pertinent information on upcoming TRiO events which include, but are not limited to, National TRiO Day at Cañada College, campus visits to UC Davis, Stanford University and UC Berkeley, our TRiO day of service at the San Francisco Food Bank, as well as a visit to EA Sports for those students who may be considering careers in graphic design and computer/video game development. As is tradition, TRiO closed the event with a drawing sponsored by colleagues at the Skyline College Bookstore.
While TRiO is absolutely thrilled with the success of the current SSS scholars the program is always on the lookout for new TRiO students. To obtain a TRiO SSS application please visit www.skylinecollege.edu/trio or come to the TRiO SSS office located in the Learning Center of Building 5. For more information, call (650) 738-4144.
Article by Andrea Gabriel
The College Reading & Learning Association’s International Tutor Training Program Certification certifies post-secondary education tutor training programs in two-year and four-year colleges and universities. The Skyline College Learning Center recently received a three-year renewal and was recognized for the strength of its program.
This program is aligned with the CSU transferable LSKL 110 Tutor Training course offered each fall and spring for prospective tutors and students interested in teaching careers. Students who complete this course can apply to become peer tutors in the Learning Center and are also well-positioned to serve as supplemental instruction leaders. The LSKL 110 course and the CRLA certification are an important professional development opportunity for students that also provide them with experience as they transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
Starting in fall 2015, students completing the LSKL 110 course will receive Level I CRLA certification upon completion of the course as part of the expanded curriculum and increase in units from 1.0 to 1.5 units. Future plans include exploring UC transfer possibilities.
To get more information about The Learning Center’s programs and services, please visit TLC in building 5, or visit us on the web at www.skylinecollege.edu/learningcenter
Article by David Reed
As a member of the Advisory Committee on Legislation (ACL), Bay Area 2 Representative Linda Allen joined a host of Community College Leaders at this year’s Annual Legislative Conference, January 24-26, 2015 at the Sheraton Grand in Sacramento. Linda is the classified representative from the California Community Colleges Classified Senate (4CS).
The primary responsibility of the Advisory Committee on Legislation (ACL) is to advise the League boards (CCCT/CEOCCC) on state and federal legislation affecting community colleges, and advocacy strategies. The committee reviews legislation and related issues requiring legislative resolution, develops appropriate legislative solutions and recommends appropriate league advocacy priorities.
The League’s Annual Legislative Conference provides a unique opportunity to connect with other advocates and learn the latest news on higher education in California. During this two-day conference, attendees are encouraged to visit their legislative representatives and advocate for higher education.
For more information on the Community College League of California visit: http://www.ccleague.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3286
Article by Linda Allen
Last week Skyline College received its expected action letter from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), signed by President Barbara A. Beno, on the action taken by the Commission at its January 2015 meeting. Based on our “Follow Up Report” submitted in October, 2014, which was required as a result of our last accreditation visit in fall of 2013, the Commission found that the College has addressed and resolved all the deficiencies in College policies, procedures and practices which had led to noncompliance with Standard III.A.1.b.
Congratulations and commendations are deserved by the Skyline College community for maintaining the accredited status of the College, which allows us to continue serving students and contribute to their success. Thank you to everyone for your hard work to ensure that we maintain our Accreditation and are in full compliance with the Commission’s requirements. However, lest we rest on our laurels, the next report required from the College will be a Midterm Report due in October 2016 where we will address additional recommendations that resulted from our last accreditation visit. Much like painting the Golden Gate Bridge, the work of accreditation is an ongoing process.
The College of San Mateo and Cañada College also received favorable action letters on their continued accreditation status based on their respective Follow Up Reports and a Follow Up Visit each received. We congratulate them as well.
At this time, the ACCJC is also providing notification of all the January 7-9, 2015 actions taken on the accredited status of institutions by sending the “Commission Actions on Institutions” list to the U.S. Department of Education, the relevant state agency, and to programmatic accreditors. The actions list is also being posted on the accjc.org website for access by interested individuals and members of the public.
Article by Aaron McVean
Friday, February 13, 2015
- Faculty Art Exhibition through March 7, Skyline College, Building 1, Art Gallery
- Lincoln’s Birthday (Observed) – Holiday
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Baseball @ Shasta College, Shasta College, 11555 Old Oregon Trail, Redding
- 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Women’s Basketball @ Las Positas College, Las Positas College
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball @ Las Positas College, Las Positas College
Saturday, February 14, 2015
- Declared Recess
- 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Baseball @ Shasta College, Shasta College, 11555 Old Oregon Trail, Redding
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Monday, February 16, 2015
- Last Day to Drop Semester Length Classes Without Appearing on Record
- Presidents’ Day – Holiday (No Classes)
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
- Census Day
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Introduction to Google Drive, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Introduction to Probability & Statistics, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Using WriteWell App/for Writing Assignments, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 12:35 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Transfer Advocate Panel Presentation Workshop, Skyline College, Building 6, Room 6204
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Composition Development & Editing, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball @ Foothill College, Foothill College
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Women’s Basketball @ San Jose City College, San Jose City College
Thursday, February 19, 2015
- Interviews for Internship Opportunities at Skyline College, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2352
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Writing Process, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., The African American Experience: A Dialogue on Social Justice, Skyline College, Building 6, Room 6202
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Sentence Level Editing Practice, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Cal Grant Workshop for Transfer Students, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2117B
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Baseball @ San Diego Mesa College, San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego
Friday, February 20, 2015
- Interviews for Internship Opportunities at Skyline College, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2352
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Baseball @ San Diego Mesa College, San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego
For the latest information on events and activities happening at Skyline College, please view our calendar.
If you would like to include your college event or activity on the calendar, please submit the event, date, time and location to Jennifer Owen-Blackmon via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.