What color is the wind? That is the question that drove George Mendoza to paint what he saw, although he is blind. George brought his unique talents to Skyline College to close out Disability Awareness Month. In addition to an amazing painting demonstration by George, author JL Powers read her children’s book Colors of the Wind.
Colors of the Wind is the story of how George Mendoza became blind as a young teen and used his disability as the source of his creativity and beautiful paintings. George is a renowned artist whose paintings have been displayed across the globe; he is also an award winning runner.
The special “Colors of the Wind” event was enjoyed by children from the Loma Chica Center and Skyline College students, faculty, and staff. Audience members were invited to interact with George as he painted a canvas which will be donated to Skyline College.
At the conclusion of the event, JL Powers and George Mendoza signed copies of Colors of the Wind and met with members of the audience. Additional signed copies of this beautiful book are for sale in the Skyline College Bookstore. The event was co-sponsored by the Disability Resource Center, Language Arts Division, and Business Division. As a final note, the children from Loma Chica Center voiced their thoughts on the color of the wind – the consensus was blue or purple!
Article by Melissa Matthews | Photos by Keisha Ford
On Friday, October 24, over twenty-five TRiO students participated in the second campus visit of the semester to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (SLO) organized by the TRiO SSS Program. The campus visit kicked off with a campus tour where TRiO students learned about Cal Poly’s student demographics, its history, interesting facts, and wide selection of majors.
TRiO students had an opportunity to participate in an Educational Opportunity Program presentation and learn about this program’s eligibility requirements, its services, and its admissions criteria. In addition, TRiO students met current and former Cal Poly SLO students who shared their personal experiences at Cal Poly SLO.
The campus visit to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo was a tremendous success, which served to promote transfer goals among TRiO students at Skyline College.
Article written by Jessica Lopez
Students in the Bécalos Program took part in Día de los Muertos celebrations at Skyline College on Wednesday, November 5. Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a holiday widely celebrated in Mexico and in various other countries around the world to honor and remember those who have passed away. Bécalos students fundraised on campus and used their earnings to create an altar for the Día de los Muertos gallery exhibit. The altar was a tribute to the memory and life of Frida Kahlo, the Mexican painter. The students worked diligently to create a platform that exhibited cultural significance and representation while reflecting their own personal artistic preferences.
Aside from altar showpieces, the gallery also showcased paintings, sculptures and various forms of artistic expression in honor of this holiday. Traditional refreshments included pan de muerto, or bread of the dead, and pan dulce, or sweet bread. Bécalos students provided entertainment for the event by playing instruments and singing cultural Mexican and popular contemporary English songs. A true exchange of cultures was witnessed by the many campus community members who viewed the art gallery, mingled, and enjoyed the seasonal festivities through food, music, art, and cultural dialogue.
For more information on the Bécalos program, please contact Pcyeta Stroud at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article and photo by Alessandra Zanassi
Join us for a variety of events in honor of Veterans Day. Check the schedule below for upcoming gatherings, luncheons and movie screenings.
|Tuesday November 11th11:30 am – 1:00 pm
||Veteran’s Day Ceremony – Join the Skyline Veterans Club for this great event honoring our Veterans and their service in the Armed Forces. This event is open to Skyline students, faculty, staff, and community members.
|Wednesday November 12th1:30 pm – 2:00 pm
||Building 6Room 6203
||Veterans Luncheon with the Associated Students of Skyline College (ASSC) – ASSC will host a luncheon dedicated to Veterans at Skyline College, in appreciation of their service.
|Thursday November 13th9:00 am – 11:30 am2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
||Building 2Room 2350
||Doughnuts and A Movie – Join in the Veterans Resource Center for doughnuts in the morning and a movie, The Hurt Locker, in the afternoon!
Questions? Please contact the Veterans Resource Center at email@example.com
Friday, November 7, 2014
- Día de los Muertos Exhibition, Skyline College, Building 1, Art Gallery
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Learning Center Workshop – Beginning/Intermediate Google Drive, Skyline College, Building 5, Language Lab
- 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Men’s Soccer @ DeAnza College, DeAnza College
- 3:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Women’s Soccer @ College of Marin, College of Marin
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., Women’s Volleyball @ Foothill College, Foothill College
- Student Photo Exhibit: Images of Stigma, Skyline College, Building 2, 3rd Floor
- 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., Skyline College Theater Club Presents: You Can’t Take It With You, Skyline College, Building 1, Theater
Saturday, November 8, 2014
Sunday, November 9, 2014
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Veteran’s Day Ceremony
- 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Women’s Soccer @ City College of San Francisco, City College of San Francisco
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Women’s Basketball @ Merritt College in a non-conference game, Merritt College
- 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Men’s Soccer @ Canada College for a conference match, Canada College
- 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball v. Columbia College in a non-conference match, Skyline College
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Free Workshop – Spanish Conversation, Skyline College, Building 5, Language Lab
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Veterans Luncheon with ASSC
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., Women’s Volleyball @ Ohlone College for a conference division match, Ohlone College
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Wrestling v. Modesto Junior College, Skyline College
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., National Scholarship Month – Scholarship Social – Information Table, Skyline College, Quad
Thursday, November 13, 2014
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.; 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Doughnuts and a Movie at Veterans Resource Center
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Sustainability Forum, Skyline College, Pacific Heights Room 123
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Free Workshop – Writing Personal Statements for UC’s, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., National Scholarship Month – Scholarship Workshop – Helpful Hints & Advice, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2117-B
Friday, November 14, 2014
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Free Workshop – Preparing for Exams & Avoiding Test Anxiety, Skyline College, Building 5, Room 5115
- 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Men’s Soccer v. Ohlone College in a conference match, Skyline College
- 2:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., Women’s Soccer v. Ohlone College, conference division match, Skyline College
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., Women’s Volleyball @ West Valley College for a conference division match, West Valley College
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball v. College of the Redwoods in a non-conference game, Skyline College
For the latest information on events and activities happening at Skyline College, please view our calendar.
If you would like to include your college event or activity on the calendar, please submit the event, date, time and location to Jennifer Owen-Blackmon via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.